- If you’re a beginning knitter and wanted to try your hand at making a shawl, Laylock has a brilliant and free cheat sheet.
- Ysolda Teague’s “origin story” warms my heart– so inspiring!
- Sarai, founder of Colette Patterns, shares the three reasons why she sews, which I think are also three reasons we should all try our hand at it.
- Neil Gaiman describes The Benefits of Reading Aloud.
- Isabel takes us back to Disneyland California Adventure from seven years ago! I need to go back to Disneyland ASAP. It’s been too long!
- Crispin Freeman, one of my favorite [voice] actors, discusses the Myth of the Hero as it relates to the female, a topic we all know fascinates me. One of these days I really hope to attend one of his Mythology and Meaning panels.
“As much as I love Joe Campbell, he does give short shrift to the female hero journey, and it’s very frustrating to me, so that’s part of why I developed my third anime mythology presentation, which is called ‘Mystics, Priestesses and Warrior Women.’ Traditionally, male hero journeys were more prominent because in traditional hunter-gatherer societies, a boy doesn’t become a man until he’s physically initiated… In those same traditional societies, a girl becomes a woman when she starts menstruating. When she starts menstruating, they put her in a hut and have her think about the fact she’s menstruating. Well, that might have worked back in hunter-gatherer times, but that doesn’t work now. That’s not enough to help girls now become self-actualized women. It’s vital we have female hero journeys—not just for girls, for boys, too. Boys and men need to understand the challenges women face as they go through their lives, and if men don’t, they’re doomed to perpetuate ridiculous chauvinism. It’s my personal flag I like to fly, because it’s about damn time that girls have more choices.”
- Finally, the newest Geek & Sundry channel Player Piano is making me swoon! They’ve captured the eerie atmosphere and cyberpunk aesthetic of Akira so well. Can we talk about how badass that piano is too?